ATTENTION APPLICANTS – If you are not a veteran who served during a recognized period of war you cannot be considered for this position.
THE ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS, an equal opportunity employer, announces recruitment for an Assistant Commissioner for the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs who is directly responsible to the State Service Commissioner for all actions relating to department operations, human resources, training, and administration. Key responsibilities and duties include the supervision of 7 direct reports advising all on such issues as personnel management, policy, and procedures. Performs other activities as directed by the Commissioner.
Mandatory eligibility requirements:
- Must be an honorably discharged veteran with a minimum of 60 days active duty military service during a wartime period to qualify.
- Clean driving record (last five years).
- Demonstrable, extensive, and superior experience in past executive leadership role(s) involving direct management of staff personnel.
- Extensive experience in the technical fields of human resources/personnel, business management, information technology, employee benefits, and training/professional development.
- Must have a valid Alabama driver’s license or ability to obtain one prior to the first day of employment and successfully complete a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NAC-I) and fingerprints to obtain a required Personal Identity Verification (PIV) card issued by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This condition of employment may not be waived.
- Graduate Degree (HRM, MBA, or Management, or Public Administration) is highly desirable.
- Retired military field grade officer/senior non-commissioned officer is highly desirable.
- Experience in the field of Veterans Affairs (particularly the VA claims process) is highly desirable.
- Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Windows and Office 365 to include Microsoft Teams and SharePoint is highly desirable.
- Experience in or demonstrable familiarity with Alabama state government, particularly state personnel processes and policies, is highly desirable.
Anyone meeting the mandatory eligibility requirements and interested in applying for this position may do so by forwarding their resume to email@example.com NLT January 4, 2021.