Most federal, state and local veterans’ benefits require proof of military service through an official discharge document, often called a DD-214 or one of its predecessors. You may request a free copy of your military service record through the National Archives at

To get copies of National Guard records, contact the Adjutant General’s office at 334-213-7574.